questions on: The Karmas and our destiny

Prashant Sharma psharma at BUPHY.BU.EDU
Fri Jul 11 11:21:58 CDT 1997

On Fri, 11 Jul 1997, Gummuluru Murthy wrote:

> Now let us take the other extreme: a person who fully accepts destiny,
> i.e. a person in *full harmony* with destiny. Such a person has no inkling
> of free will. Such a person is in eternal happiness. He/she has accepted
> there is no free-will, ego has melted, perfect harmony with destiny,
> perfect eternal happiness because there is no "action" the individual can
> perform to change the destiny. There is no interest or inclination to
> change destiny. Such a person, if ever there is one, is a jnani and I
> prostrate before him/her.

What does this person think destiny to be? Is it the fact that the world
is causal and therefore every "action" is linked to some others (with its
associated complexities). But that "he" (or his unified consciousness)
lies untouched and *inactive*.
If this be the case (i.e. the person doesnot see his self) then don't
you think it is pointless to even talk of destiny, which presupposes that
there is a "self" (howsoever ethereal) whose "destiny" is to be
determined.
Or is destiny some kind of a "verbal stance" that the "jnani" takes to
convey his impressions of the material world to his fellow beings?

Regards,
Prashant.