Unreal actions and actors

Srinivas Sista sista at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Thu Jul 10 16:50:46 CDT 1997

Anand Hudli wrote:

>    Yes, all this typing to the Advaita-L is illusory and is done by
>    illusory agents. The same question may, of course, be asked of
>    the Guru, shruti, God, and so on. What then is the utility of
>    these things? The answer is by means of an analogy of dreams.
>    You see a ferocious tiger in your dream, ready to pounce on you.
>    You wake up perspiring. Now, the tiger in the dream was illusory,
>    and so was your fear of it. Yet, the illusory tiger caused a
>    real effect, namely, the perspiration, and it also caused you
>    to wake up.
>
>    The role of the Guru, shruti, God, discussions, etc. is similar.
>
>    So I hope the discussions here will be at least a part of the tiger
>    which will wake us up! Otherwise, we will have to look for that
>    part of the tiger somewhere else. :-)
>
>   Anand

Which reminds me of a discussion I had a few years ago with a friend.
He told me likewise that a ferocious tiger woke him up from a dream.
In my experience, I had terrifying dreams but did not wake up always.
The dream sometimes transforms into another kind of dream. So my
question is as follows: is the waking up due to the content of the
dream or something else? (this is not a frivolous question)

regards,
Srinivas Sista.