Still Confusion regarding Shankara’s co

Rushikesh K. Joshi rushi at BRONTO.IITM.ERNET.IN
Tue Jan 28 21:17:20 CST 1997

> > On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, Rushikesh K. Joshi wrote:
> Jaldhar H. Vyas replied:

> > Can you say that the world that appears in your dream cannot be
> > wished away ?
> >

> Leaving aside nightmares and other psychological problems, yes dreams can
> be wished away.  But the waking state is rather different from a dream.

How different is it ? While dreaming, did you know that 'actually there is one
Mr. so and so who is sleeping, and whatever happening now is a dream'? You
thought everyting was real then.
Same is the case with waking state. It is yet another dream.

> If this list is a dream then I wish you to go away.

Your wish is in dream, my going away or sticking to the list is your dream.
Sometimes I wish in my dreams that the demons should go away.
But the poor fellows don't. Anyway, when I wake up they are gone.
So wake up, and I will be gone.

> Let's see if you do or not.  In order to check on my progress in banishing
> this illusionary mental construct I invite any member of the list who
> lives near Rushikesh to visit him at regular intervals and poke him with a
> sharp stick.  If you find he still insists on existing despite my best
> efforts please report back to me at the address below.

People in dreams do respond. They will come and tell you that they are real.
They do assure their existence through actions.
Only when I wake up from the dream, it is all over.

Appearances in dream have no outside independent existence, but for in the
 dream.
So is the world.

- Joshi