Is experience of Maya necessary ?

Anand Hudli ahudli at APPN.CI.IN.AMERITECH.COM
Thu Jan 16 13:57:34 CST 1997

         Sadananda wrote:

> In a recent article Anand Hudli says: "Truth is not  a pathless land
> according to Vedaanta. What the Vedas and Vedaanta show is an effective and
> practical way of reaching the goal"  I have to disagree with the
> implication of the statement although I have a feeling Anand is fully aware
> of its implications. From the point of the truth it is pathless, from the
> point of jeeva (automatically implies the one who is caught up in the
> tripura) the path appears to be there but even that there is the path is
> also notional.  Shankara says:

 I admit I made a confusing remark. What I did mean to say is that
 Truth is not a pathless land, but when you reach truth the path chosen
 is not relevant. This is true of Vedaanta, because what Vedaanta
 does is to get rid of ignorance. When Brahman is realized, Vedaanta is
 irrelevant, because even Shruti ultimately is within maayaa. But it is
 a key with which we can unlock the door to Brahman. Once we open the door
 we discard the lock and key.

> "Chitttasya suddaye karma na tu vastuupalabdaye" -  there is the path for
> purification of the mind and in contrast to J.Krishnamurthy's opinions I
> agree with the second statement of Anand. but realization is not path just
> as learning is not a path either.  One can not will it.  One can prepare
> the mind for it.  But the knowledge has to reveals itself. - In fact this
> is true for all knowledge(s) .  Preparation of the mind to receive the
> knowledge is path dependent since impurities were accumulated by following
> a path. But I donot agree with first part of the statement of Anand.  It is
> a question of reference.  But from the nature of the truth, there cannot be
> a path.

  True. There cannot be any injunctions for realizing Brahman. This is one
  of the important points that Shankara makes in his upadeshasaahasrii and
  Sureshvara also deals with it elaborately in his sambandha vaartika.
  The injunctions/prohibitions of the Vedas are for the purification of
  the mind. But knowledge reveals itself and is not caused by any
  external factor.

> Hari Om!
>
> Sadananda

 Anand