Gayathri Mantra !!!

Mon Feb 10 16:25:14 CST 1997

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, VP Nandakumar wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         Can somebody enlighten me on the meaning and significance of the
> Gayathri Mantra? I've also heard that there is not much use chanting it if
> you're not in India!

The Gayatri is a Vedic mantra to Surya Bhagawan.  A Brahman should recite
it every morning and evening as part of the Sandhya Vanadan.

As has already been pointed out, the reason why some say it will have no
efficacy outside India is because a Brahman is considered ashuddha for
crossing the ocean.  However one should still do Gayatri japa because it
is ones duty and a duty should be done without expecting a reward or
result.  Also this only applies to the immigrant generation.  For people
like me who were born in the west we have not "crossed" so there is no
sin--and no excuse for not doing it.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas [jaldhar at braincells.com]   And the men .-_|\ who hold
Consolidated Braincells Inc.                          /     \