Truth

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Thu Dec 18 07:25:51 CST 1997

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997, Chelluri wrote:

>                                                              Om
> Namaste!
>

>                           "TRUTH IS TERRIFYING UNLESS EGO (Ahamkara)
>                             IS LEFT BEHIND"
>
>                                                                     Nageswar

I have to differ from Shri Nageswar Rao's statement.  Shri Nageswar says
"Truth is terrifying". Terrifying to who ? It is the ego which feels the
terror or such other feelings, and if ego is left "behind" (?), who feels
the terror ? Shri Shankara's Viveka ChuDAmaNi verse 424, which I am
appending as a signature quote is the most apt to reflect on in this
context.

Further, I cannot understand why Truth is terrifying. I would assume,
Truth, if ever it is realized, would be the most blissful.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
... aham bhAvodayAbhAvo bodhasya paramAvadhih ...
                        Shri Shankara in Viveka ChuDAmaNi (verse 424)

The end of the rise of the sense of "I" of the ego is the culmination
of knowledge.