Yoga Sutras of Patanjali

Ravisankar S. Mayavaram msr at REDDY20.TAMU.EDU
Mon Aug 25 13:38:05 CDT 1997

namaste

1) Yoga philosophy of Patanjali : containing his Yoga aphorisms with
Vyasa's commentary in Sanskrit and a translation with annotations
including many suggestions for the practice of Yoga
by Hariharananda Aranya, Swami and Mukerji, Paresh Nath,
published by State University of New York Press.

A&M library has this book. This is a very good book. Detailed and rigorous.

2) How to know God: the Yoga aphorisms of Patanjali by Prabhavananda,
Swami and Isherwood, Christopher available from vedanta catlog. This
is a small book. Good one too. You can read this and then go to
other books. That way you will have an overall idea before going to an
indepth study like ref 1.

3) Yoga : discipline of freedom : the Yoga Sutra attributed to
Patanjali ; a translation of the text, with commentary, introduction,
and glossary of keywords.  By Barbara Stoler Miller (A&M catalog
doesn't list any author name for this book, but I remember reading her
name in the book itself). This is also an interesting book. Author
claims her translation is poetic. It is also true. I have read her
book "Theater of Memory" (Kalidasa works), I like her style of
writing.

4) Original text and translation (brief) are available at the jaguar
site.
ftp://jaguar.cs.utah.edu/private/sanskrit/sanskrit.html

I have seen and read some portions of these books and ref 2
completely. Probably you can start here. Our library has close to 15
books on patanjali's yoga sutras. Personally I would like to read the ref
1 completely. There is also a book by Trevor Leggett on vivarana of
vyasa's bhashya by shankara. But I have not seen that book. In fact
there is a page on web by Trevor Leggett, you can see the reference
there.

dhanyavaad

Ravi