Householder (and related topics)

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Mon Aug 25 07:00:35 CDT 1997

On Sun, 24 Aug 1997, Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian wrote:

> Please note that you can hold whatever view you please. But please don't make
> statements like "Maybe sha.nkara said so to hold of the influence of buddhism"
> and stuff like that. Such a statement strongly suggests that shrI sha.nkara was
> dishonest enough to mis-interpret the veda-s to suit his own purposes.
> Ramakrishnan.

It was not my intention, nor I have ever stated that Shri Shankara was
dishonest. If someone reads my sentence that way, I am extremely sorry. I
personally think that my sentence cannot be read that way. I would be more
than happy to withdraw that sentence if it pleases Shri Ramakrishnan. I am
clear in my mind however, that I never intended any disrespect to Shri
Shankara. That was the farthest thing in my mind.

Gummuluru Murthy
Yadaa sarve pramucyante kaamaa ye'sya hr^di shritaah
atha martyo'mr^to bhavatyatra brahma samashnute   Katha Upanishhad II.3.14

When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal
becomes immortal, and attains Brahman even here.