Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Sun Aug 17 08:04:34 CDT 1997

On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, Nanda Kumar wrote:

> Oh, how I love to fan the already raging fire!

Oh, there is no fire. I certainly hope light is the outcome of this

> Gummuluru Murthy, doesn't the Upanishads say, "those who desire
> offsprings are doomed to a world of darkness"?

I am not sure which upanishhad you are referring to. "Desire" is touched
on in various upanishhads (Katha, Isha, Prashna, Br^hadaaraNyaka etc).
But, I would say that any **desire** leads to a world of darkness.

Gummuluru Murthy
Yadaa sarve pramucyante kaamaa ye'sya hr^di shritaah
atha martyo'mr^to bhavatyatra brahma samashnute   Katha Upanishhad II.3.14

When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal
becomes immortal, and attains Brahman even here.