Advaita

Neeta Pasrija Neeta_Pasrija at NOTES.PW.COM
Wed Apr 30 22:14:25 CDT 1997

*ADVAITA*,       *NON-DUAL*,   *ONE*    Remember.

Are these just words we use.  What is this dispute about  India,  America,
Toyota,  Maruti,  Grahista,  Sanyas.   Can we even begin to try detachment when
we are so attached to our opinions.

As a child I heard a story and I remember it as: Yudhishtra attained mosksha.
Of course I could be wrong.  If it is true, there is your answer of a
householder attaining moksha.  If it is not true - please ignore this statement.
>From ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU Thu May  1 01:43:11 1997
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 01:43:11 -0400
To: "Advaita (non-duality) with reverence" <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>
From: Jonathan Bricklin <brickmar at EARTHCOM.NET>
Subject: Re: New member introduction (fwd)
Comments: To: "Advaita (non-duality) with reverence" <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>

> I doubt very much that Vipassana, a practice of Theravada Buddhism has
> anything to do with Advaita Vedanta.

Really?  Do you think it has anything to do with St. John of the Cross?
The Bal Shem Tov?  How about Lao Tzu?

 > Particularly if you think it has to do with the non-reality of free
will.
I do not think much about whether Buddhism of any kind has any relation to
free will.  It is just one of many paths that can lead to an experience of
non-duality.  Ramakrishna, for example, was instructed in Advaita-Vedanta
by his teacher, Tota Puri, but it was surely his own experience of
non-duality, rather than the doctrine of non-duality  that led him to
abandon his belief in will