Realising the Self!!!

Vidyasankar Sundaresan vidya at CCO.CALTECH.EDU
Mon Apr 21 14:03:59 CDT 1997

> self is the final judge and is really what matters. Then is attributing
> everything to God an alternate way of getting rid of the pride and Ego? If
 it's,
> then, is it the right way, as one would still not realize the deeper, truer
> meaning?

Attributing everything to God is indeed a way of getting rid of pride and
the ego, so long as this does not lead to another sort of pride, namely
one by which one assumes to know God's will. As Ramana Maharishi says
somewhere, it is easy to say that one has surrendered everything to God,
but difficult to do it in practice.

All the gurus have assured us that we will indeed realize the deepest,
truest meaning through surrender to God. Of course, true surrender
involves complete dissolution of the ego, so there is no contradiction.

>         The Self-Realisation which finally amounts to true happiness, is it
 not
> in itself a selfish goal of the self?

In some ways, yes, but in Self-Realization, there is no more self, so the
selfishness of the goal may be excused! Yajnavalkya's dialogue with
Maitreyi in the brhadAraNyaka upanishad is very apt for your question.

Regards,

S. Vidyasankar