New member Introduction

Ravisankar S. Mayavaram aum at UNIX.TAMU.EDU
Sat Apr 19 20:29:20 CDT 1997

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 11:58:55 -0800
From: un824 at freenet.victoria.bc.ca
To: aum at unix.tamu.edu
Subject: Re: ADVAITA-L: un824 at FREENET.VICTORIA.BC.CA requested to join

Namaste!

Dear Ravi,

It seems difficult to say much about my "self" to a list which is concerned
with the most profound treatment of just that question, but I'll try...

The experiential realization of the truth has been my most powerful desire
for the last twenty years. It has dragged me through all kinds of study and
some actual practice of most spiritual systems with particular emphasis on
Advaita, Buddhism, and Sufism.  For about the last two years, meditation
has been effortless, joyous, and peaceful without there seeming to be
anyone there meditating. I hope that doesn't sound too strange, but it is
the way it seems. Occasionally this experience of conscious space with no
apparent subject or object occurs unmistakably during the sleep state as
well. At those times it seems as if there had never been any world, or
person or thought. It is hard to read about the theory of ajata
(non-production) and not associate this experience with it. One time while
the conjunction between dream, sleep and waking states was being witnessed,
a light brighter than a thousand suns flashed for a brief moment. Many
times during the day or night, with eyes open or closed, a small intensely
bright blue light appears in the region between the eyebrows at some
unknown distance forward.

I'm not sure what to make of things like this. Is it a good sign or just
fool's gold? Hopefully some day I will meet the guru who will dispell all
the darkness and doubt with a single stroke.  Till then...

Sincerely,

Allan Curry