Sat

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Sun Sep 15 07:49:27 CDT 1996

On Sun, 15 Sep 1996, egodust wrote:

> > At 09:35 PM 9/14/96 -0400, you wrote:
> > >                                          Om namo Bhagavati
> > >Sadasivasamarhambham!
> > >
> > >Namste!
> > >
> > >Can you please tell me what is illusion and what is reality the way you
> > >undersatnd it.
> > >
> > >Regards
> > >

> > Rao
> > >

> >  Reality is  "what persists."
> >
> >  If it changes, alters, modifies, evolves, transforms, mutates, unfolds or
> > unravels, it's NOT real.
> >
> >                                            With Blessings,
> >                                                   Chuck Hillig
>
> Concur.  That which is real, persists.  The space-time continuum can be
> regarded as a fragmentation of reality insofar as it represents a modification
> of the Absolute Attributeless.  The simplest barometer is undoubtedly the
> factor of change as it applies to what is witnessable: [incredibly] that
> envelops Everything [conceivable].  (Note: the key word here is
 'conceivable'--
> which alludes to the ongoing mental Play of Phenomena...this is a strong hint
> in the direction of the significance of the blown out root 'I'-thought {viz.
> nirvana}--which is ALREADY the natural substratum of What IS.  Again only the
> Veil of Avidya needs be lifted.  Nothing *new* to acquire!)
>
> namaste.

Well described.

Sri Sankara's writings are full of the distinction between Reality
and illusion. The one I am reading presently is the one in
Upadesa Sahasri 19.8 which says

" ....
  vikalpitam caapy asad iti avasthitam "

Everything created by the mind is non-existent or an illusion.

I trust I am interpreting it properly and in context.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Adau ante ca yan nAsti vartamAnepi tat tathA !
                                GaudapAda in Mandukya kArika
What did not exist at the beginning and what is not going to exist at the
 end is as good as non-existent even in the present.