truce required

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rbalasub at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Thu Oct 31 16:13:42 CST 1996

Murthy wrote:

> The threads "Disciples of Sri Ramana Maharshi" and the ensuing thread
> "Guru-disciple-enlightenment topic" are taking a shape of their own and
> are almost on the point of destroying the Advaita Group. It is producing
> more heat than light lately.
>
> While Sri Ken Stewart's original enquiry is harmless, later discussion
> brought in names of disciples of Sri Ramana Maharshi whom someone branded
> as false gurus without producing evidence.
>
> What I consider an unfortunate editing mistake by Sri Ramakrishnan
> attributed that statement wrongly to Sri Ken Stewart and that took a
> shape of its own. Under such circumstances, Ken's plea for proper
> attribution of statements is not getting much of attention. Similarly,

I know I had said I wouldn't answer this thread anymore. But, I did point out
my mistake in attributions. Actually my arguments with Ken did not result from
the mistaken attribution. When it was claimed that Ganapati Muni et al were
crooks, Ken did quote that and said "I agree dead gurus can't kick butt". So I
(rightly, I think) thought that Ken agreed with the statement that all those
personalities were crooks. Upon which I pointed out the chronological
inconsistencies in that slander. Now that Ken has said he does not know
anything about these people the matter is resolved.

> the request by Sri Giri to stop slandering people without any evidence
> is not getting much attention either.
>
> The Group seems to be in a charged atmosphere, and the peace required
> (for the contemplation in the Self) is getting destroyed.
>
> May I suggest, before any further damage is done, that we refrain posting
> on this topic anymore for the present. Many wrong attributions and false

I hope the wrong attributions are no more in place. The content of my mail was
not significantly changed by that in any case.

Ramakrishnan.
--
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant (May faulty logic
undermine your entire philosophy)           -- strong Vulcan curse