Guru-disciple-enlightenment topic

egodust egodust at DIGITAL.NET
Thu Oct 31 17:09:07 CST 1996

There's a point when the advaitic axiom that 'one is already enlightened'
becomes more than a hypothetical utterance to have faith in...for the
purpose of allowing it to take root in the antahkarana (one's faculties of
spiritual awareness).  It becomes an unavoidable verity that just can't be
ignored!  Indeed, it becomes one of the main inspirational wellsprings in
the whole metaphysical approach.

It begins to dawn that, in fact, Self-realization is already present
despite the phenomenal manifestation of the jeeva (ego).  It's the natural,
automatic state of everpresent Being.  And the apparent moment-by-moment
creation of ego typically carries instantaneous relativity-systems in its
wake that dazzle and trick us into believing in limitation, ignorance,
bondage, etc.

It could be said that: It eventually becomes difficult, if not impossible,
to entertain even the remotest hint [of the popular notion] that the Self
is something exotic or beyond one's intimate reach and ordinary condition!
This is why the focus is on the immanence of the Self, as being, in fact,
closer than the heartbeat.

This is why the idea that 'everyone is a jnani' isn't so farfetched.
What causes us to imagine otherwise is the vaguest, flimsiest overlay of
temporal thought-fabrication, as to be substantially irrelevant.  This is
how the atmavichara (Self-enquiry) can be so immediately effective.  It sends
us right to the Source.  It exposes and falsifies all the relative notions
that we are this way or that, and delivers us to the ....

The shift into **the discovery that we have ever been awake** is like
suddenly getting a backstage pass to God's Theater of Operations.  Here
we see that everyone's an actor with a part, without any consequence or
bearing on our true nature--bar none!  This is why it makes sense that
we're ALL teachers for eachother, dealing various lessons--positive
and negative, and finally, uniquely, advaitic (beyond positive/negative).

The 'story' is ridiculously simple.  That's probably why it's also so
elusive.

peace.peace.peace.

namaste.