Disciples of Ramana Maharshi

egodust egodust at DIGITAL.NET
Fri Oct 25 20:54:59 CDT 1996

> Hello,
>
> On Fri, 25 Oct 1996 23:30:22 GMT, egodust <egodust at digital.net> wrote:
>
> >Ken launched this thread, questioning why so many followers of Bhagavan RM
> >seemed to be, in his view, "false teachers."  If this can be interpreted to
> >have a mundane connotation, I failed to see it.  Sue me.
>
> If the question had been "why are there 'false teachers' in the
> world", then some sort of "everything is maya" response might have
> been warranted, because the question would refer to the nature of
> reality in general.
>
> However, the actual question was a specific one, ie what was the
> connection between following Ramana and becoming a false teacher.
>
> Thus, the question calls for a specific answer having to do with the
> nature of Ramana's teachings and/or the nature of those who are
> attracted to his teachings.

And I replied with a specific answer.  To refresh your memory, it's reproduced
below.  The answer may be debatable, but you can't say it's not specific...

namaste.

***************

Bhagavan's teachings are so direct and simple (and in this sense effective),
that people who sincerely follow and absorb them to any appreciable degree,
can't help but come away at least egoistically fractured, if not shattered...
the Self automatically starts taking over; albeit awkwardly perhaps.

On the higher turn of the spiral of *What IS*, all the talk about ignorant
individuals amounts to dust in a dream.  The alleged Mind is the Judgement
Machine that cripples, smothers, and jails the Free Self--if that's even
possible to do!

In fact, it isn't!  'False Gurus' cannot therefore exist.

>From  Sat Oct 26 06:06:51 1996
Comments: To: "Advaita (non-duality) with reverence" <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>

On Sat, 26 Oct 1996 01:54:59 GMT, egodust <egodust at DIGITAL.NET> wrote:

>Ken wrote:
>> Thus, the question calls for a specific answer having to do with the
>> nature of Ramana's teachings and/or the nature of those who are
>> attracted to his teachings.
>>

>And I replied with a specific answer.  To refresh your memory, it's reproduced
>below.  The answer may be debatable, but you can't say it's not specific...
>
>namaste.
>
>***************
>

>Bhagavan's teachings are so direct and simple (and in this sense effective),
>that people who sincerely follow and absorb them to any appreciable degree,
>can't help but come away at least egoistically fractured, if not shattered...
>the Self automatically starts taking over; albeit awkwardly perhaps.

Okay, but why would this cause them to think they had realized the
Self, when in reality, they were still operating from the viewpoint of
ego?

Cheers,

Ken                         <*>
kstuart at mail.telis.org