Disciples of Ramana Maharshi

Cameron Reilly cjreilly at OZEMAIL.COM.AU
Sun Oct 20 20:01:33 CDT 1996

Ken Stuart wrote:

> When someone asks you where the bathroom is, do you reply "Your need
> to use the bathroom is only an illusion." ?
>
> I think that if Ramana had been asked where the bathroom is, he would
> not reply "Who is it that thinks it needs to go to the bathroom?".
> Instead, he would reply "around the corner in the back", and save the
> "Who is it that thinks there is a world?" response for philosophical
> questions put to him in the lecture hall.
>
> In fact, the above is just the sort of thing that false gurus do,
> their egos are so caught up in "being a guru" that they can't
> distinguish between when philosophy is appropriate and when it is not.

You are probably right.

Ramana probably *would* have pointed the direction to the toilet. But
would his answer have been a matter of volition? Did Ramana have free
will? Or would his response have been spontaneous?

In the same way, any utterance made from a 'false guru' as you put it,
(I am humbled to see you infer that title on myself) is also a
spontaneous happening over which 'they' have no control. Saying their
"ego's are so caught up in being a guru" assumes the ego actually has
some sort of volition. I do not believe this is the case. What *is*
there that could possibly have volition?

May I ask, do you believe in volition?

I felt your question *was* one of philosophy. For the issue would not
concern you if you understood that the whole concept of the individual
is a mistake.

Cheers.

Cameron.

>From  Mon Oct 21 01:27:48 1996
Comments: To: "Advaita (non-duality) with reverence" <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>

Hello,

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996 11:01:33 +1000, Cameron Reilly
<cjreilly at OZEMAIL.COM.AU> wrote:

>Ken Stuart wrote:
>
>> When someone asks you where the bathroom is, do you reply "Your need
>> to use the bathroom is only an illusion." ?
>>
>> I think that if Ramana had been asked where the bathroom is, he would
>> not reply "Who is it that thinks it needs to go to the bathroom?".
>> Instead, he would reply "around the corner in the back", and save the
>> "Who is it that thinks there is a world?" response for philosophical
>> questions put to him in the lecture hall.
>>
>> In fact, the above is just the sort of thing that false gurus do,
>> their egos are so caught up in "being a guru" that they can't
>> distinguish between when philosophy is appropriate and when it is not.
>

>You are probably right.
>
>Ramana probably *would* have pointed the direction to the toilet. But
>would his answer have been a matter of volition? Did Ramana have free
>will? Or would his response have been spontaneous?
>
>In the same way, any utterance made from a 'false guru' as you put it,
>(I am humbled to see you infer that title on myself)

I didn't mean to infer any such thing, I certainly don't know enough
about you or anyone else on this list to even know whether anyone is a
guru, let alone false or true !  :-)

> is also a
>spontaneous happening over which 'they' have no control. Saying their
>"ego's are so caught up in being a guru" assumes the ego actually has
>some sort of volition. I do not believe this is the case. What *is*
>there that could possibly have volition?

There doesn't have to be volition.   My coat can get caught in the
door, but I don't attribute volition to it.  :-)

>I felt your question *was* one of philosophy. For the issue would not
>concern you if you understood that the whole concept of the individual
>is a mistake.

It's not a concern to me.

I'm just curious as to why Ramana, who was so unusually clear and to
the point, would, even if indirectly, produce an unusual number of
followers who would (let me put this in terms perhaps more acceptable)
have the karma to become non-realized teachers who thought they were
realized?   (please see my earlier post which started this thread for
details)

Cheers,

Ken                         <*>
kstuart at mail.telis.org