mind, the mischief-maker (was Re: LIFE)

Charles A. Hillig chillig at JETLINK.NET
Fri Oct 4 18:02:31 CDT 1996

At 06:58 PM 10/4/96 -0700, you wrote:
>> I dont understand why so much opposition to the Mind.
>> Is it not the same mind that made you K.Sadananda a Ph.D?
>> Is it not the same mind of sada turned its attention to divine matters
>> promptly on time?
>
>We must all be very careful of what we mean by Mind, with a capital M
>here. Intellectual activity in the Indian traditions is ascribed to three
>different things, manas, citta and buddhi. It is only manas which is
>normally translated as mind. The original Skt. quotations which talk of
>the mind becoming no-mind, refer to manas and not to citta and buddhi.
>Being used to Western categories, it is easy to club all these three into
>one Mind, reminiscent of the Mind vs. Matter debate in Western philosophy.
>
>The thing that gets you the PhD would typically be ascribed to buddhi, not
>to manas, in any Indian tradition.
>
>Vidyasankar

     In truth, though, "you" havn't really "gotten" a Ph.D.at all.

     If you say that you have  "gotten" it, you are admitting that there was
an actual time when you didn't actually "have" it.

     Whatever can be "gained" (or "lost," for that matter)  is illusory.

     Only the SELF is real..

                 With Blessings,
                                  Chuck Hillig