Eating Meat and Fallen Leaves

Vidyasankar Sundaresan vidya at CCO.CALTECH.EDU
Mon Nov 25 20:25:59 CST 1996

> According to the shastras beef is certainly out.  Also eating some animals
> like porcupines(?) is explicitly forbidden.  But other than that there is

According to my recollection, both Apastamba and Yajnavalkya say that
there is nothing wrong with eating tender, well-cooked beef. Re: P. V.
Kane's History of Dharmasastra, vols. 1-5. I don't have more exact
references with me, but if someone else on this list has access to these
volumes, you might be interested in looking it up.

S. Vidyasankar