Three schools of thought

Charles A. Hillig chillig at JETLINK.NET
Mon Nov 25 09:36:23 CST 1996

>Mind is what drives the body.
>Hence renunication at the level of mind will reflect in renunication at
>the physical level too.
>Hence if one just says that mental renunciation is enough,
>*and does not practice it*, then only one is making a mistake !
                           Joshi

Dear Joshi,

     But are there REALLY any mistakes?  I suspect that we cannot lose our
way on this "path-less path" even if we would want to.

     Suppose an actor has gotten so much into the part of the character that
he is playing  that he has forgotten that he is only an actor.  Then,
halfway through the play, he realizes that he is only an actor and that he
is only playing at being this other stage character.

     His realization, though, may not stop the play.   Isn't he still
obliged to read his lines, perform his actions and  receive his
"consequences" for the actions that he (as the character) had, seemingly,
set into motion?

     Although the audience sees no real difference between an actor who
realizes that he is acting and one who doesn't, wouldn't each of these
actors still have a very different inner experience of the play?

     I know that this is a limited analogy, but some of it may apply.  I
suspect that, although the mental renunciation is there, the physical
renunciation may just take more time to manifest.

      I think that Maharshi compared such momentum to the blades on a
ceiling fan.  Even after the power has been turned off, the blades will
continue to rotate for a while.

                                             With Blessings,

                                              Chuck Hillig