Pre-requisites for Realization ?

Charles A. Hillig chillig at JETLINK.NET
Sun Nov 24 12:27:00 CST 1996

At 12:13 PM 11/24/96 -0330, you wrote:

>Are celibacy and sannyasa really pre-requisites ? The most important
>and the only thing, in my view, is maanasa-sannyasa (mental
>renunciation). If a person has shunned the world and has taken complete
>withdrawal (mentally) from all, celibacy and other things follow
>naturally. A person need not be conscious of celibacy (or sannyasa) as
>a requirement. If, in fact, a person regards something (anything) as
>a requirement, he/she is no longer a celibate (or a sannyasi), because
>he/she still mentally indulges in those worldly activities. That would
>not take the person anywhere. Thus, it is counter-productive to look
>for specifications for a Realized person (jeevanmukta).

I agree.

>I like to bring in another point on which I would like to see the
>List-members' views. I submit that Realization will not come with
>practice. What I mean is, that one cannot consciously practice toward
>that end. A person's ajnana will be removed when he/she is ready for
>it. No preparation by the individual is either required or even
>possible. If a person is ready, a mental change takes place in the
>person without the person's efforts. I emphasize the word "efforts"
>here, because whenever an effort is made, it is a conscious act which
>cannot lead to vairaagya. This may be the kartutva-bhaava which
>Sri Sadananda was referring in some of his postings.

     I think that it's this very notion that "progress is possible" that
provides the momentum for the historical-self to, seemingly,  propel its
story "forward" and out into some kind of illusory "future."    But maya  is
only  an entrancing dream and a big part of that dream is that, someday, (if
you play your cards right) you will, eventually "awaken."   Ironically, the
pursuit only reinforces that the seapartion is real and needs to be traversed.

> It can happen in the middle of a city while living with
>wife and children. The mental peace settles of its own accord.

I agree with you

>It is a mystery (to me) what decides when a person is ripe for
>Realization. I think it is indeed what Shri Nageswara Rao calls
>Shri Lalitha's grace. It ultimately is, as seen by the human mind.

I remember a wonderful quote by Maharshi which speaks to this very issue.

    He said: "There are three classes of spiritual aspirants.  The most
advanced realize the Self as soon as they are told of Its real nature.  They
are like gunpowder igniting with a single spark.

     Those in the second class need to reflect on It for some time before
Self awareness becomes firmly established.  They are like charcoal and so
they need some heat to be applied for a short period of time.

     Those in the third category, however, usually need many years of
intense spiritual practice in order to wake up from their illusions.  They
are like pieces of wet coal that, over a long period of time, first need to
dry out completely before they can eventually begin to heat up enough to
start burning on their own."

     So, maybe it's a combination of both "effort" and Grace.

     As Edgar says in Shakespeare's "King Lear,"
                                            "Ripeness is all."

     The Self is not gained because It is ever-present.

     Only ignorance is lost.

                                  With Blessings,

                                        Chuck Hillig