Three schools of thought

Giri gmadras at ENGR.UCDAVIS.EDU
Wed Nov 20 12:07:37 CST 1996

On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Madhava Kumar Turumella wrote:

> As  an illustration, we have this question "Who is supposed to
> be  called  as a brahmin?".  This question is answered  in  an
> upanishad  called "vajrasuchi upanishad."  In  this  upanishad

        The sanskrit text, transliteration and translation of
the vajrasuchi upanishhad can be found at
        ftp://jaguar.cs.utah.edu/private/sanskrit/sanskrit.html

The same site also contains kena, iisha, muktika etc

> right  upanishads.  And a massive research had been  commenced
> and  fruitfully  we  found  the "Mouktika  Upanishad."    This
> "Mouktika  Upanishad" was taught to Hanuma by Lord  Sri  Rama.
> It  is  but  obvious that when Rama was ruling, there  was  no
> Muslim  or  Crishtian  religions.   Hence  our  scholars  have
> accepted the "mouktika upanishad" as authentic.  Fortunate for

        Most of the Indology scholars would never accept that the
muktika upanishhad was written/composed during the period of
Rama, which is around 5000 BC (i.e if they even accept that Rama is not a
mythological character).

> advises  Hanuman to study "Bruhadaranyaka Upanishad" in  order
> to understand higher self (the self with in).  He also advises

        ??? In the two books I have,

Lord Rama to Shri Hanuman in muktika:

        'The only means by which the final emancipation is attained is
through maaNDUkya upanishhad alone, which is enough for the salvation for
all aspirants. If GYAna is not attained thereby study the 10 upanishhads;
thou shalt soon attain GYAna, and then My Seat. O son of ajnjanaa, if thy
GYAna is not made firm, practice (study) well the 32 upanishhads. Thou
shalt get release. If thou longest after videhamukti, study the 108
upanishhads. I will truly state in order the (names of the) upanishhads
with their Shaanti (purificatory mantras).'

> The whole Hindu religious philosophy is basically built-up  on
> three schools of thought. They are dwaita (dualism) founded by

        Certainly not. Sanatana Dharma does not stand based on three
schools of thought within vedanta. It is based on the primary six
schools of thought (sad-darshana). Though vedanta, and yoga may be the
popular schools among them, they borrow a lot from other schools. Yoga
from samkhya and vedanta from (purva) mimansa.

> Dwaita  advises to prostrate to God.  Serve him  humbly.   You
> are a slave to him hence obey him what ever is his orders.  Do

        Really ? I thought dvaita was more of a servant master relationship
rather than a slave-master relationship. The latter can never be driven
by Love.

> stand  for  reason.   The dwaita school  never  accepts  human
> reasoning.

        Human reasoning ? Certainly MAdhva employs logic in his
discourses and also accepts the six pramana-s as a means of
knowledge. Or do you mean that the dvaitins on the net never accept
reasoning :-)

> On  contrary  it says God  is  beyond  reasoning.

        Brahman is beyond reason in any Indian philosophy.

> Adwaita:    Sri  AdiSankara,  the  greatest  philosopher   and
> missionary  ever seen in this world, is the advocate  of  this

        Naturally, you posted this on the advaita mailing list, because
you won't find many people who will differ from the above contention :-)

> You may wonder, then who  founded  this?
> Actually, I should say that Sri Yagnavalkya, the seer  of  Sri
> Sukla Yajurveda, founded this school.

        I don't think so. The lineage of Advaita parampara is
Narayana, Brahma, Vasistha ..... Gaudapada, Govinda, Shankara ..
(see tha hastamalaka stotra).

        There are also separate lineages from Dattatreya and Dakshinamurthi.

> Sri  Adisankara  while  advocating this Nondualism  says  that
> "Since you are a part of this world and right now you are  not
> in  a  state  of understanding that you are God,   you  should
> follow   the   path   of  Bhakti  (dwaita)   and   inquisition
> (VishisTadwaita).  Adwaita (non-dualism) is a state  that  has
> to be realized.  Until you realise you should practice"... And

        Can you provide in which composition of Shankara does he say the
above ?

Namaste