Illusion

Ravisankar S. Mayavaram r0m6887 at TAM2000.TAMU.EDU
Tue May 28 12:59:18 CDT 1996

%>in a mirage gave me lot of initial push towards that understanding.
%>I feel that (just my feeling), for a gnani, the world appears like
%>water appears to us in a mirage (it appears quite real). But once
%>the unreal nature of the mirage is understood, the water there loses
%>its reality (that doesn't mean that water doesn't appear anymore :-) ).

maraththai maRaiththathu maamatha yaanai
maraththil maRain^thaththu maamatha yaanai
paraththai maRaiththathu paarmuthal bootham
paraththil maRaiththathu paarmuthal bootham

        My math teacher introduced this song to me and created
interest in hindu philosophy when I was in my final year of
engineering. Beauty of the song can really be appreciated in thamizh
(Tamil). It is written by a great saint  called thirumular.
and this work is known as thirumantiram.

Literally it means

In the elephant wood was hidden
and the elephant disappeared in  the wood
Five elements beginning with Earth, hid the param ( God or primordial being)
Five elements disappeared in the wood.

My translation is absolutely bad, but the explanation ( I hope ) will
make it up.

        He was walking through the forest, at some distance he saw a
wild elephant standing. Scared by its appearance he hesitated for a
while. Later observing its stillness, he gathered some courage and
walked close to it. Surprise, surprise, it was statue made of
wood. From that point he could not see the elephant. Literally
elephant disappeared in the wood.

        As long as you are ignorant you perceive the universe and all
its mysteries as real and bothered by it. Moment the knowledge it is
God and God alone dawns on you, this dream universe will disappear in
him and you will perceive God alone!

        Whenever I remember this verse, I am captivated by the beauty
of the language and the wisdom of the poet.
--
Ravi
msr at tamu.edu
                   sharaNaagata rakshaki niiveyanii