Creation theories

Giri gmadras at ENGR.UCDAVIS.EDU
Wed Jun 26 13:56:44 CDT 1996

Talks with Ramana Maharshi, page 43.

D: The vedas contain conflicting accounts of Cosmogony. Ether is said to
be the first creation in one place; prana in another place; something
else in another place; waters in still another, and so on. How are these
to be reconciled ? Do not these impair the credibility of the vedas ?

Maharshi: Different seers saw different aspects of truth at different
times, each emphasising some one view. Why do you worry about their
conflicting statements ? The essential aim of the veda is to teach us the
nature of the imperishable Atman and show us that we are That.

D : I am satisfied with that portion.

Maharshi : Then treat all the rest as Artha vada (auxillary arguments) or
expositions for the sake of the ignorant who seek to trace the genesis of
things and matters.

**end

Ramesh Balsekar:

Concepts can at best only serve to negate one another,
as one thorn is used to remove another, and then be thrown away.
Only in deep silence do we leave concepts behind.
Words and language deal only with concepts, and cannot approach Reality.
Ceasing to conceptualize means ceasing to perceive objectively,
which means perceiving non-objectively.
It is to see the universe without choice or judgement and
without getting into subject-object relationship.
What happens then? Nothing, except that you are what you were
before you were born: everything

**end

Explanations about concepts like creation are given to only satisfy the
enquirer and hence his mind. Though it is important not to give a lighted
candle to a child, one should not dismiss enquirers about creation as
childish *and* feel superior about it. In the lila of the Brahman, either
everyone is a child or no one is. One master told me 'Self-realization is
like a joke. The understanding and the laugh is spontanteous. Logic can only
help but the realization itself is beyond logic. The structure on which
your (and any one else egocentric) perception is built on can collapse
at any time since it (ego) is not real. Hence realization can 'happen' to
any one at any time.'

Namaste.