What is Real? Everything

Ian Goddard igoddard at EROLS.COM
Fri Jun 21 21:45:04 CDT 1996

 At 11:07 PM 6/21/96 GMT, egodust wrote:

 > Is the experience of samadhi itself logical?

IAN: If we define "logic" as "that which is true," then yes.
As such, a sequence of words that points to the truth is
a logical -- i.e., truthful -- statement.

 > One may (or may not!) use
 > logic to induce samadhi, but within its *primal current* is logic being
 > ACTIVELY utilized in order to maintain it?

IAN: Excellent way of stating your point, now I clearly see it.
I would have to say that it is impossible to draw a distinction
between samadhi -- the Self in its immaculate shinning glory --
and anything else assumed to be other than the radiant Self.

If we take an inventory of all the differences between the statement
" A = ~A " (or any statement) and the state of absolute liberation,
our list of differences will contain no entries, simply because
nothing is external to, and thus different from, the Self.

The features of the mind are features of the Self, the clear light
of samadhi actually has features, namely, the darkness of samsara
relative to which the clear light is "the clear light." The mind
is a necessary feature of the Self. It is only through the mind
that the self can discover itself -- that is, he who has never
lost himself, can never find himself.

Existence is a game of hide and seek I am plays with I am.

The same logic that "maintains" the mind is the same logic, or truth,
that maintains the Self, for the Self is the maintenance of everything.

Indeed there is nobody, no localized entity, saying an axiom or mantra
in samadhi, and yet the same is true "outside" samadhi. Due to the
mechanics of relational identity, location is always a fallacy.

 > This is what I've been trying to say all along.  Not that logic isn't
 > a valid approach *en route* to Liberation.  (Also, the application of
 > illogic is an equally valid approach {vide: zen}).

IAN: That's "illogic" only according to Western atomist rules of
identity, which are easily proven by physical fact to be false.
Thus, in fact, Zen "illogic" is logic.

 > Remember, the whole
 > point is diffusing the tyranny of the Mind that otherwise obsesses
 > on putting a distracting spin on the natural state of satchidananda.

IAN: Truly, has the Self ever actually been distracted from itself?

I Am poetry: http://www.erols.com/igoddard/iam-free.html

Law of Identity: A is A, relative to not-A. A = {A, ~A}

Law of Nonidentity: If there is 100% A, there is 0% A. A = ~A

absolute reality: http://www.erols.com/igoddard/reality.html