thought and Jnana

G. Boyd fa56 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Thu Jun 13 20:51:13 CDT 1996

Bhagavan Ramana did indeed on many occassions state that "it is only
the thought that you are an ajnani which prevents you attaining jnana",
but on the other hand, the thought "I am a jnani" will take you even
further away.

The problem with partial quotes and odd sentences, is that the whole
purport of the lesson is lost in some easily misinterpreted words.

Thought itself is the obstacle to jnana - any thought! Also the idea of
attainment is also false, but is used in place of suitable words and
phrases.

The purpose of the scriptures is to open the inner door to
comprehension - not thinking - but complete understanding in a deep,
inner becoming. When this is TRULY BELIEVED, then it is realisation.

Realisation is BECOMING - BEING, not thinking, nor contemplating,
nor attaining.

Understanding the statement that we are all self-realised, always, is the
first step, not the final one.

The idea that purifying the jiva leads to realisation, is also wrong - jiva
is illusion, and as long as illusion IS jnana IS NOT - jiva is ignorance
and ignorance cannot be purified and still remain. It is a contradiction
to say it is possible.

Just as you cannot be partially pregnant, so you cannot be partially
self-realised.

Graham Boyd