Question

Giri gmadras at ENGR.UCDAVIS.EDU
Thu Jun 13 11:50:07 CDT 1996

On Thu, 13 Jun 1996, anand hudli wrote:

>  advaita is based on the upanishhads as Shankara himself affirms in
>  his works. The method of Vedanta(upanishads) is what is called
>  adhyaaropa-apavaada-vaada.  adhyaaropa means superimposition of
>  unreal attributes on the Brahman, and apavaada means the sublation
>  of such superimpositions. When all superimpositions are sublated
>  what remains is Brahman.
>  Of course, all this talk of procedures, going, coming, etc. is
>  meaningless  once we reach the nondual state.

        But not until then !! A Boy Scout may talk like a war general
using the information he listened when the military personnel are talking.
A young boy practicising to learn violin may try to get out of practice
sessions by quoting a virtuoso and say 'What I play is inspired, there is
no involvement of the mind.' A teacher will listen to these people
patiently and pat them on their back and say 'You don't know what you are
saying now. You are not a virtuoso, not yet. After you become one, your
words will make enough sense to you.' The above example is paraphrased
from Trevor Leggett's book on bhagvad gita.
        Though theoretically all of us may be jnanis, how many of us here
can postively say they are already dead both in mind and body (as
Nisargadatta used to say) and they function all the time without the
influence of ego ? Atleast Rama (not Lord Rama, but rbalasub at purdue) has
publicly claimed that he was not a jnani ;-)
        Though Bhagvan Ramana says 'Only the thought I am not a jnani
prevents you from being a jnani,' he does not speak against the
practice of meditation etc.

Namaste.