Introduction

Ram Chandran CHANDRA2 at ERS.BITNET
Tue Jun 4 13:33:30 CDT 1996

Here is the introduction of Who Am I?

This is a part of an introductory speech that I gave at the toastmaster's
Club. This will certainly give an illusionary  description of Who Am I!
My wife Shanthi and I are actively participating in Chinmaya Mission
activities for past 4 years. Shanthi conducts Balavihar and Sloka classes and
we also help the Mission in other activities. Swami Chinmayananda has
enlightened value-system hidden in Bhagavad Geeta to intelligent comprehension
of the modern students of technology and science.  He taught us to "recognize
the beauty of a selfless, and therefore  desireless, life of service and love".
He believed that "True benefit in spiritual studies can come to us only when we
become ready for a total transmutation of our own life".
I don't yet possess the knowledge to describe "Who am I" but I am going to try.

To day, my topic is  "Who am I?"  I had a real experience in India to find out
WHO AM I?"  Last time when I visited India, I lost my bag which contained my
passport, valet and all important papers.  I found out soon that I was nobody.
To establish my identity, I went to the AMERICAN EMBASSY.  The counselor has
asked me to complete several forms to verify my identity:  First, they want
me to prove that I am Ram Chandran.! Second, I should authenticate that Ram
Chandran is a US Citizen! Third, I should provide evidence that my passport
and documents were stolen!

For 48 hours I was nobody and that was a real experience.
Thanks to modern communication facilities and with God's grace,
I was able to produce the supporting data on my identify:
First, I have registered my name in Delhi on the day of my arrival; Second,
I have kept a photo copy of my passport, and other documents; Third, most
of the money carried in the briefcase were in travelers checks;  Finally, I
have collected papers necessary from the police station.  My early
preparations considerably reduced enormous time delays in proving my
identity.  Does it really mean that I know "ME?"

I am from Madurai, the capital city of Pandya Dynasty located in Tamil Nadu,
India.  Madurai is situated in Southern India, famous for big temples and
hot summer.  India is a big country. Its population is four-times that of
US and its area is one third of US.  There are 24 languages spoken by a
million or more people.  67% of the population live in rural areas and
engage in agriculture. 50% of them are literate and english is an official
language for transaction. My mother tongue is Tamil and I can speak and
understand basic Hindi.

I come from a big family:  My parents had eight sons and six daughters and I am
the youngest. Both my parents also come from big families: my father had four
education of religion is from my grandmother who taught me some Slokas.
I used to witness her daily pooja which consists of washing idols,
dressing them, garlanding them, reciting slokas in praise of them and feeding
them symbolically.  Whether the Ganesha ever got the fruits and milk, I did get
my share after the pooja.   I always remember her devotion and dedication to
members of our family.  Her total life was spent to serve our family without
age are still in my memory and will never disappear.  How can I ever say that
she was ignorant about God and I know all about God! True Bhakti necessarily
means that we should learn to love everybody and hate nobody.

I had my school and college education in India.  I worked
in India for several years at the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad and
Ford Foundation, Delhi.  I have an M.S. in statistics from the university of
Manitoba, and a Ph.D. in agricultural economics from North Carolina State
University at Raleigh, NC. I am married, my wife's name is Shanthi and we have
My elder son, Ravi, a computer engineer, works at Wilmington, North Carolina.
My younger son, Jayanth, is a Junior at the University of Virginia.  We live in
Burke Virginia, off  the belt-line.

I worked for 11 years as a Research Economist at Research Triangle
Institute, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina.  I joined the Economic
Research Service in 1991 as an agricultural economist at the Resources and
Technology Division.  At RTD, I have studied the Pesticide Use Surveys in
Vegetables and Fruits.  Recently, I have completed an analysis to link the
relationship between pesticide use and residues in vegetables and fruits.
Currently, I work at the Food Consumption Economics Division and study the
dairy consumption pattern for different socioeconomic groups of US
population.  I love teaching and I have been teaching for than 20 years.
Currently, I am teaching three econometrics courses at the USDA Graduate
School.  Tennis, Chess, Bridge and Vedanta are my favorite hobbies.  I go
to the health club at the basement three times a week.

Now let me come back to the  philosophical question about "WHO AM I?"
What does "Ram Chandran" Represent?
Does it represent my body?
Does it depict my mind? Does it symbolize my Intellect?
"VEDANTA,"  defines I AM  "SELF."
"SELF" is the "TRUE ME" or  "TRUTH."
"TRUTH" is within me and I shouldn't search for "TRUTH" outside.
I am neither the BODY, nor the MIND, nor the INTELLECT!
When I perceive "HAPPINESS" all the time, I realize my "SELF."
True Nature of "SELF" is "HAPPINESS."
HAPPINESS is an "INTERNAL EXPERIENCE" and cannot be obtained "OUTSIDE."
Finding the "TRUTH" is an endless path, it is beyond birth and death.
"SELF REALIZATION" cannot be "EXPLAINED," but, "EXPERIENCED!"

                  ***************************
                  **    Have a Nice Day!   **
                  ***************************

*  You are the only one to judge your actions for awards and punishments  *
*  An Act of Kindness is its Greatest Reward which always comes with it   *
*  No Act of Sin can escape from Severe Punishment from the Conscience    *
*  To Experience True Happiness one has to renounce the rewards of an act *
*                  Subtle Message from Bhagavad Geeta                     *

|   Ram V. Chandran      || email: chandra2%ers.bitnet at vtbit.cc.vt.edu   ||
|   9374 Peter Roy Ct.   || internet: chandran at mailbox.econ.ag.gov       ||
|   USA                  || Phone: 703-912-5790 (H)  202-501-7082 (W)    ||