Thought-free state

egodust egodust at DIGITAL.NET
Sun Jul 14 21:26:58 CDT 1996

Ian wrote:

> I believe that the following statements describe the nature of states:
>
>         A) All states of experience are not other than the Self.
>         B) No state is more truly the Self than any other.
>         C) Some people prefer one state over another.
>
> I believe all three statements are true.
>
> The state of active thought and emotion is naught but the Self, since
> the mind is nothing but the awareness which illuminates it.
> That awareness, or ground of being, is the Self.
>
> When we see a stainglass window we think we see physical glass, but in
> fact, all we actually see is the light that carries information to our
> eyes. In the same way, when we see the mind and its emotions, we think
> we see a mind and emotions but in fact all we see is the Self.

This appears the case.  Yet the vital factor left unmentioned is that
the Mind's thoughts--although not different from the Self--if experienced
*unto themselves*, are mayavic.  When a single thought or emotion is
honored as being consequential [to one's state of Being] or summarily
paramount and exclusive, is where the popular infliction of duality enters
the picture.  (Sankara's advaitic formula, if studied and assimilated,
will clarify this stipulation, which is the cause for the egoic fantacy
of 'unenlightenment'--merely a trick perpetrated by the sensationalizing
Mind-program.)  Remember that the Mind is only a bundle of thoughts; and
since thoughts, by definition, involve *isolated* observations, they are
mayavic.  Just as the snake is not different from the rope, yet if
the rope is obscured by the hissing or writhing snake (urgency of thought
or emotion that overshadows our sahaja samadhi [natural state of Being]),
therein lies the primal disconnect.

Namaste.