Dream & Waking States

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rbalasub at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Tue Jul 9 15:15:30 CDT 1996

Suresh wrote:

>  I  have would like to make a  few  observations  here.  As far  as
>  Vyavahaarika  level  is concerned a  dream is an  experience different
>  from the waking  state in both degree and kind.

I did not disagree with that, as far as vyavahaarika level is concerned.

>  Firstly dream is a secondary experience derived from the reality of the
>  waking state, whereas the waking state is a primary experience derived
>  directly from Brahman.

I disagree with this statement (partly). Vidya and I had a discussion on the
list (perhaps before you came) once, with Vidya adopting a position somewhat
similar to yours.

But I guess one is convinced either one way or the other and I don't want to
repeat what I said earlier. Again the gauDapaada kaarikaa treats this subject
in some detail and various objections and counter objections are examined. Also
shaMkara states various objections in his bhaashhya (in fact all your
objections have been stated by him) and then proceeds to answer them. Swami
Nikhilananda has a good translation of the kaarikaa. He informs us that the
kaarikaa was explained to him by a direct disciple of H.H. nR^isiMha bhaaratii
swami (Sringeri), and that the disciple (I forget the name) had studied the
kaarikaa for decades. The kaarikaa was the book recommended by his guru, since
the kaarikaa explains all it's arguments based both on logic and the vedas and
hence is not a merely polemical work based on scripture. So gauDapaada explains
his position on dreams based on both the vedas and logic, independently. I found
it convincing and till now have neither been able to raise a valid counter-point
(which could change my mind), nor have I seen anyone do so.

Ramakrishnan.
--
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant (May faulty logic
undermine your entire philosophy)           -- strong Vulcan curse