Question on method of arriving at conclusions

Ian Goddard igoddard at EROLS.COM
Tue Jul 9 02:48:24 CDT 1996

 At 12:58 PM 7/8/96 -0700, Vidyasankar Sundaresan wrote:

 > With respect to the criterion of truth, Sankara maintains that
 > non-contradictability, not just non-contradictedness should be the
 > criterion of absolute truth. Non-contradictability means that the truth
 > can never be denied by anyone at any time, which holds for the Self.

IAN: The traditional non-contradictional logic counter to your analysis
is that "self" *is* contradicted by all the universe that is defined as
"not-self." I can deny that this chair is part of myself, thus the
consciousness that I am, which is the measure of "the Self," is
not universally present. How would you answer this counter?

The only answer I can see requires a proof that allows the area of the
universe defined as "not-self" to be included into the area defined as
"self." As a result there is no area that can be defined as "not-self,"
thus my self and the consciousness that I am, is equally everything.

The fact of relational identity is the proof. The entire identity of
each thing is derived from external relation. My color, my shape, my
size, my speed, my weight, my location, my personality,... everything
about me is derived from my relation to external features, most
specifically, my relation to the negative empty space that surrounds
me and attaches me to everything else. It therefore follows that what
I am is not exclusive to my "175 lb body," and that my identity
contains much much more.

The empty space around a subatomic particle of mass is a necessary feature
of that particle apart from which it could not exist. The particle is the
contrast between mass and not-mass. What is more, because the particle is
both mass and wave, it is in fact both a particle of mass and a ripple
over the surface of "empty" space. Clearly, the space around the particle
of mass is also a part of the particle, as the particle is a space-wave.

As the "empty" space around a particle is a part of that particle, it
follows directly that every particle is a part of every other particle
unto infinity, connected via their common part: space. Every particle is
thus the same thing, the same unified identity the same "Self." If I am
my body, then I am the whole universe. This 100% refined nonduality.

Law of Identity: A is A, relative to not-A. A = (A + ~A)

Law of Nonidentity: If there is 100% A, there is 0% A. A = ~A

absolute reality: http://www.erols.com/igoddard/reality.html