Surrender.

egodust egodust at DIGITAL.NET
Mon Jul 1 14:17:05 CDT 1996

> Namaste.
>
>         If sharangati means complete surrender, it is ever possible for
> the ego to *completely* surrender to anything without any questions ? If
> done, shouldn't it be perceived that the the Surrender to Supreme is the
> same as Surrender to the Self. How can the duality of 'Thou' and 'I' arise
> in complete surrender ? Either everything is for the 'Thou' OR for the 'I'.
>         A person who truly surrenders is a jnani and vice-versa. The Lord
> says 'Established in Me, he carries out his duty indifferent to pain and
> pleasure.' A jnani does his/her duty established in the Self (Atman). This
> mind fails to see any difference between these states.
>
> dhanyavaad

Signed, sealed and delivered jnana, mainlined to the cave of the Heart.

Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 20:51:03 GMT
To: "Advaita (non-duality) with reverence" <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>
From: Ken Stuart <kstuart at MAIL.TELIS.ORG>
Subject: Re: Surrender.
Comments: To: "Advaita (non-duality) with reverence" <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>

On Mon, 1 Jul 1996 12:04:15 -0700, Giri <gmadras at ENGR.UCDAVIS.EDU> wrote:

>Namaste.
>
>        If sharangati means complete surrender, it is ever possible for
>the ego to *completely* surrender to anything without any questions ?

How can something that is an illusion surrender or do anything else?

Remember, the ego is a mirage, it is like the snake seen in a coil of rope.

The snake cannot do anything, because it is not really there....

It is the mental body (aka the "mind") that does the surrendering.   And this
mental body is just an instrument of the Self.

>If done, shouldn't it be perceived that the the Surrender to Supreme is the
>same as Surrender to the Self. How can the duality of 'Thou' and 'I' arise
>in complete surrender ? Either everything is for the 'Thou' OR for the 'I'.

It depends on how you define "complete" surrender.  If someone surrenders
completely in this moment, this is not the same as self-realization, because
there are still samskaras that pull us back into the egoic perspective.

This is what Ramana means by "mature", ie someone who has burnt all the
samskaras, who then can take the final step without being pulled back.

Once someone reaches self-realization, then of course, then "Thou" and "I" are
realized to be one.

Cheers,

Ken                         <*>
kstuart at mail.telis.org