Shankara and Krishna

Madhava Kumar Turumella madhava at EMIRATES.NET.AE
Mon Dec 2 08:05:28 CST 1996

At 07:33 PM 12/1/96 -0600, you wrote:

>And in his BSB(1,3,38),"A born shudra has no right to knowledge...A shudra
>has no right to knowledge through the Vedas."

I heard something about the word "sudra" from Sri Satyasaibaba during one of
his lectures on Vedas.  (Please refer the book "Vedavani" by Sri Satyasai
publications).

Sri baba says that there is another meaning for Sudra.  The fetus in the
womb is called as "Sudraka" it is the noun form of fetus.  The moment I
heard this meaning from Sri Saibaba, I remember, I have searched for the
dhatu (root) in "The Nighuntu and Nirukta" written by Sri Lakshman Sarup
(first published in 1918 by Sri Motilal Banarsidas, new adition is available
now).

In Nirukta we can find that "Sudra" is an adjective form to explain a Moron.
Hence, the man who acts like a moron and who can't understand things just
like a fetus, can also be called as a Sudra.

Perhaps! Sri Sankara has meant a "moron" behind saying "a born shudra"
in his BSP.

Thoughts are welcome.

Regards
Madhava