SELFREALIZATION

Giri gmadras at ENGR.UCDAVIS.EDU
Fri Aug 23 15:32:02 CDT 1996

On Fri, 23 Aug 1996, Chelluri Nageswar Rao wrote:

> address this point.   also if you know a samsari in the present or recent
> past, would you tell me.   I will go fall on his feet to tell me the means to
> achieve the goal.
>
>                                       shubham
>                                          nagy

        I am not sure whether this was addressed to the group or
sadananda. Anyway, I will poke my nose in and try to answer this question.

Examples :

1. Sri Yuketswar Giri (I think that's the name, he was Shri Yogananda's
guru).

2. Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj.

3. My Guru.

Atleast Nisargadatta Maharaj was not celibate since he had children and
took care of his family. I am not sure about his primary disciple, Ramesh.
I know that he was educated in London.

        I am not asking you to believe that any of the above were
self-realized jnanis etc. but atleast the first two are recognized as
jnanis by a few people.

        I would not call them samsari, since as 'The Atman was never in
bondage, never will be.' but they were married. Just marrying does not
constitute samsara. In Tamil, wife is called "samsaram" though :-)

**

Please note that I am not saying that celibacy is not required for
self-realization. I am just providing some examples just like I would say
that Nisargadatta smoked, Ramakrishna ate fish etc. IMHO, that (the outer
actions) does not in any way diminish or enhance the lives they led.

**

Giri