ADVAITA-L Digest - 1 Aug 1996 to 6 Aug 1996

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Wed Aug 7 11:57:00 CDT 1996

On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Srinivas Sista wrote:

> > Date:    Mon, 5 Aug 1996 17:58:37 -0230
> > From:    Gummuluru Murthy <gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA>
> > Subject: Advaitic philosophy and the concept of personal God
> >
> > <preceeding text removed>
> >
> > In this context, I have one more comment. While going through the
> > earlier writings in this Discussion Group (logfile 9606B), I came
> > across  postings which classify karmas as of three types (prarabdha,
> > .. )  and so on. While not denying that concept in the framework of
> > the illusory world, it is to be recognized that the concept of karma
> > is a direct result of ajnAna. Again, why do we need to classify the
> > levels of ajnAna? Am I correct in this thinking?
> >
> > <succeeding text removed>
> >

> I have couple of sincere questions.
>
> 1. Is there a need to classify the thinking as correct and incorrect?
>    Who is the authority to decide?
> 2. Is only the concept of karma the direct result of ajnana?
>    How about concepts like nirguna brahman, illusory world, etc?
> 3. What about the concept "karma is a direct result of ajnana"?
>    Is that a result of jnana?
>    If not at what conceptual level does ajnana end and jnana begin?

I do not think I can even attempt to answer these questions. I can only
make a comment.

When I said the concept of karma is a direct result of ajnana, my
thoughts are the following: Anything that changes belongs to the
realm of the illusory world. Thus, Saguna Brahman, time, space
all are imaginations of the mind and change and are not real.
The concept of karma belongs to the realm of the universe and
hence is a creation of the mind. It is good, proper and the only
explanation, but only in the framework of the illusory world.

As long as we try to explain any happening in terms of such concepts,
we are shrouded by ajnana. Jnani recognizes only Nirguna Brahman,
the changeless entity. In that framework, there is no karma, no time,
no space and everything is unchanging.

> regards
> Srinivas.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Adau ante ca yan nAsti vartamAnepi tat tathA !
                                GaudapAda in Mandukya kArika
What did not exist at the beginning and what is not going to exist at the
 end is as good as non-existent even in the present.