Query on writing style

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Wed Aug 7 10:57:07 CDT 1996

On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Ken Stuart wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was just wondering if there were two different words:
>
> maya and mAya
> Sivananda and SivAnanda
> Acarya and AcArya
> stotras and stOtras
> jivatma and jeevAtma
>
> If not, then is it acceptable to everyone to not capitalize letters in
> the middle of words?   I presume that the point of the capitalization
> has to do with pronunciation, but I am not speaking the words, I am
> reading them and it is a LOT harder to read with the capitalization in
> the middle of words.
>
> I can understand the capitalization in an ENTIRELY Sanskrit text, but
> IMHO, it is awkward and unnecessary when occasional Sanskrit words
> occur in an English sentence.

The point is well made.  I am one of the guilty parties in capitalizing
some of the letters in my recent postings. That will not occur again.
May be one of the early (experienced) members can suggest a norm for
the benefit of the newer members.

> Thanks,
>
> Ken                       <*>
> kstuart at mail.telis.org

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Adau ante ca yan nAsti vartamAnepi tat tathA !
                                GaudapAda in Mandukya kArika
What did not exist at the beginning and what is not going to exist at the
 end is as good as non-existent even in the present.